Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Twilight Struggle


I played Twilight Struggle for the first time today and thought it was pretty fun.  I was afraid that I wasn't going to like it much, that it would be too dry and complex, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.  It's a two player game about the Cold War where one player is the US and the other plays the Soviet Union.  You only a have few options on your turn, so it's more about planning ahead a few steps than crazy micromanagement.  When I played it it lasted about 3 hours, which was more than I expected, and though the game did end, it certainly could have gone longer.  I had fun playing and would play it again given the chance.  I don't know how many opportunities I'd have to play it if I owned it, so I'm not rushing out to get it for myself, but I'd definitely play again if the occasion arose.

Oh, in case you were wondering, I was playing the Soviet Union and we won because the US learned to love the bomb which sent everyone to Defcon 1, and then the next turn they attempted a coups in Africa, which start a nuclear war, and since they started it, the the Soviet Union won. 

I'm grateful that my wife has started feeling better enough that she's able to work on some of her projects around the house.

No comments: